Welcome to the blog of the Tasmanian branch of the Children's Book Council of Australia!

Saturday 7 January 2017

Reading wish list for 2017

Do you have a 2017 reading wish list? Penny is starting hers and already facing dilemmas in making her first choices. So many good books to select from!

Here we are at the beginning of another year. The various festive celebrations have come and gone and life for most of us, is slowly returning to normal.

Like many of you I have plans and projects in mind for 2017, and I intend to find more time to read in 2017. Fortunately, one of my Christmas gifts was a Petrarch's Voucher so I picked up a copy of  their Summer Reading Guide and trawled through it with great interest, thrilled to discover that no less than seven pages are devoted to books for young people!

So, what to choose?

Well, one definite is The Ice-Cream Makers by Ernest van der Kwast & Laura Vroomen which is set in Italy and is a 'dazzling novel about an Italian ice-cream dynasty, tradition, ambition, and the sensation of lemon sorbet melting on your tongue.'  But since my voucher will only cover the cost of two books, I now have a dilemma.

I love crime thrillers, so do I choose Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz or The Wrong Side of Goodbye by Michael Connelly? But I also love sci-fi, so young adult titles Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff and The Diabolic by S J Kincaid also hold great appeal. I read a lot of non-fiction too and Evolution: A Visual Record by Robert Clark is also a contender; as is the brilliant Wonderlands: The Illustration Art of Robert Ingpen.

Imagine having all these books to choose from. May we all have such dilemmas in 2017!

Penny Garnsworthy
Freelance writer

Editor’s note:
If you have read any of these, why not give Penny some advice – or share a “must read” title on your wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment