Welcome to the blog of the Tasmanian branch of the Children's Book Council of Australia!

Sunday 27 March 2016

Reading Outside Your Comfort Zone

Join Tricia this week as she shares a great stimulus for a 2016 Reading Challenge. It is not too late to get on board – How many of the 12 challenges set my Mrs Darcy are you prepared to commit too?

Whilst trawling through social media sites I came across a page encouraging readers to challenge themselves to read more widely and to revisit old favourites.  The 2016 Reading Challenge, from the Modern Mrs. Darcy blog, sets readers a number of tasks, including to read: a book recommended by your local librarian or bookseller; a book you should have read in school; a book that was banned at some point; and, a book you own but have never read. One particular option I found interesting in my intentions to undertake this reading challenge is to ‘read a book chosen for you by a child’. 

I have read quite widely in the area of children’s literature in relation to my school librarianship role and as a CBCA Judge for the Children’s Book of the Year Awards.  Generally the children’s books I have read have been for my own interest, a requirement for judging or to evaluate a title for its suitability for my students.  Only occasionally have I specifically read a title that a student has recommended.  So now one of my reading goals for the year is to enthusiastically grasp at my student’s recommendations especially if they differ from the genres and/or formats that I am most comfortable with. 

Of the tasks set for the 2016 Reading Challenge which one (at least) will you aim to accomplish?

Happy Reading!


Tricia Scott

Teacher Librarian and 2016 Tasmanian Judge for the CBCA Book of the Year Awards


1 comment:

  1. It's always interesting to re-read a book. I did this recently with The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and felt I must have been seduced the first time. This read revealed some savage flaws in the acclai8med novel.

    ReplyDelete